Today I am midway through setting up my lab and realized the reason VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF) is failing is because I set the wrong password in my JSON file for the root account on my vCenter appliance.

No big deal, right? Just SSH in and change it. I tried, and got this:

The bypass was actually easy. Presumably you’re already SSH’d in as root, so you just need to edit /etc/pam.d/system-password

Remove enforce_for_root from the first line with pam_cracklib.so. Save the file,

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
# Begin /etc/pam.d/system-password
 
# use sha512 hash for encryption, use shadow, and try to use any previously
# defined authentication token (chosen password) set by any prior module
password  requisite   pam_cracklib.so   dcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 lcredit=-1 ocredit=-1 minlen=6 difok=4
password  required    pam_pwhistory.so  debug use_authtok enforce_for_root remember=5
password  required    pam_unix.so       sha512 use_authtok shadow try_first_pass
# End /etc/pam.d/system-password

 no need to restart any services, and retry passwd.

After that, I re-added enforce_for_root to the file and clicked RETRY back in VCF and all things are happy once again.


===============================